Starting your own business

Need help starting your business?

Get some key advice about how to structure your new business and keep proper records, among many other things.

Thinking about your start-up business?

It’s a dream held by many people, but put into practice by relatively few, so if you need help starting a business in the UK, now’s the time to take action. Here’s your chance to bring your dream to reality and benefit from concepts you’ve been thinking about for some time.

But it’s not without risk. More than 80% of new business start-ups fail within the first 5 years. So if you are going to take that leap of faith, it’s a great idea to get some first-class business brains on your side. And a first-class firm of accountants with lots of experience in business start-ups is a good place to start.

At HFM we have helped many fledgling businesses gain their wings and set them on the road to long-term business success.

In short, we’ll do everything we can to support your young business. There will be times (there always are!) when you’ll need to change tack slightly, or put more emphasis on a different area of business, but if we’re on hand you’ll find it a lot easier to make the right decision.

Why not get a FREE consultation from one of our start-up business experts


Hi, I’m Ian Marlow and I work with new clients. Let’s discuss the how we can help you start your business.

Latest blog posts

Self-employed tax basis period reform

Ian Marlow

The self-employed tax basis period reform has changed the way trading income is allocated to tax years. Under the reforms, the tax basis period has changed from a ‘current year basis’ to a ‘tax year basis’. This means that all sole trader and partnership businesses must now report their profits on a tax year basis, beginning...

Changes to Companies House Fees

Ian Marlow

There have been a number of significant changes to Companies House fees. These changes took effect on 1 May 2024. The last significant change in fees occurred in April 2016. The new fees have been calculated on a ‘cost recovery’ basis meaning that the fees are calculated based on what it costs to provide the services...

Register an overseas company

Ian Marlow

You must register an overseas company with Companies House if they want to set up a place of business in the UK. This would mean that the overseas company has a physical presence in the UK through which it carries on business. If an overseas company does not have a physical presence in the UK, you...